Last weekend I went nuts and wrote a script to convert my old theme for Kate/KDevelop, I truly almost lost it. The script as I made it only works with files exported by the GUI, when you export whole scheme and save it somewhere. I don’t think it will work with only data for one file type (it can be easily modified to do so). So, if you try to use your full kateschema/highlighting file which stores multiple themes at once the script can “export” a random mix (I wonder how usable that would be, maybe we can get some funny results).
Or how I spent a weekend. With the latest changes in ksyntaxhighlighting library the old themes (they are called “kateschema”) will become obsolete and one will have to either use some new theme and hope it will fit or try to adapt the old one and spent hours doing so. The old format is a bit complicated, the settings for one language can vary depending on the current file type. In other words you could have different settings if you opened CSS file directly or when styles were used in HTML.
Hello After many days and weeks of thinking and waiting for better person to appear (nobody appeared) I decided to take the initiative (it took a lot) and try my luck at becoming new KDevelop release coordinator. My reasoning as I mentioned in my mail is that if there was someone better for the job the position would be filled by now. And I wish for KDevelop to be a healthy project which can rival those monsters like MSVS, NetBeans, Eclipse, Atom, MSVC…
Backstory Few days ago I wanted to play with Falkon and create some basic Qml plugin. (What else to do to play, Python support is broken and C++ is for built-in plugins). I started KDevelop (the big IDE I use) and went to create new Empty project because as I am not big Qml lover I did not create template for it yet. But I was met with errors which made me change my focus and fix the tool I use (KDevelop) before playing with Qml and Falkon.
The KDevelop`s user interface (UI) suffers from required minimal width of widgets and toolviews. The “Template Preview” toolview is one such toolview. In my case it pushes part of the KDevelop window out of the screen.
After few ups and downs with file templates, the journey through source code started once again. Based on the comment in source code, it should be possible to add tooltips for custom options in file templates. How foolish I was to trust the comments. The option loading logic never counted with such possibility, it takes any data it can find in ’label’, ’tooltip’ and ‘whatsthis’ field and sets it as option`s label.